There were some major milestones and interesting stories behind the numbers in the release of the weekly New York sports betting handle and revenue report.
Let’s take a look at the figures for the week ending Aug. 28:
- The state officially surpassed the $10 billion mark in handle, a remarkable feat achieved in just 34 weeks.
- The state’s top operator, FanDuel New York, topped the $4 billion mark in handle and Caesars Sportsbook NY became the third (along with FanDuel and DraftKings NY) to go over $2 billion.
- So much for the smooth upward climb heading into football season. After handle and Gross Gaming Revenue (GRR) numbers rose for three consecutive weeks, both fell for the week ending Aug. 28 from just a week ago. The handle number of $194,488,627 is down from $200,099,195 for the week ending Aug. 21.
- The power of FanDuel was evident in the numbers for more than the $4B milestone. Even though six of the nine licensed operators had increases in handle and seven of nine experienced higher revenue, the overall figures were down, in large part, because FanDuel was down. In fact, the top two, Fan Duel and DraftKings Sportsbook NY, had lower handles this week.
Here is a look at the massive portion of market that FanDuel has achieved among NY betting apps.
- FanDuel: 40.2%
- DraftKings: 24.9%
- Caesars: 19.9%
- BetMGM: 8.95%
- PointsBet: 2.7%
- BetRivers: 2.5%
- WynnBet: 0.5%
- Resorts World: Less than 0.1%
- Bally’s: Less than 0.1%.
Also, the nine operators sent $9,984,963 in taxes to Albany for the week.
A Closer Look at Each Operator
Here is how each operator fared for the week ending Aug. 28:
FanDuel: It did pass $4 billion in total but was less than $100 million in handle for the ninth consecutive week. The GGR was its lowest since July 24.
DraftKings NY was down in handle at more than $53.7 million, but its GGR of more than $4 million was its highest since May 8.
Caesars Sportsbook NY was up week over week in handle and GGR. It was its highest GGR since July 10.
BetMGM New York, just like Caesars, was up in both categories and had its highest GGR since July 10.
PointsBet New York had a GGR of $928,657, which was the highest it has posted since March 20 and its fourth highest in 31 reports since launch.
NY BetRivers had its highest handle since June 5 and its fourth-highest in 21 weeks of reporting.
WynnBet NY was up in handle but its GGR was its lowest since June 19.
Resorts World Sportsbook New York was up in both handle and GGR from a week ago.
BallyBet App New York posted its highest handle by 7.6% since starting a few weeks ago.
Stay close to EmpireStakes.com for weekly revenue reports and the best NY betting promos.